Addiction Counseling

Addiction Counseling

Realizing that drugs or alcohol are not fun anymore, or that they are not getting you to where you want to go, is a major part of making the decision to stop using them. It’s difficult. Friends and family have probably pleaded with you to seek help, cut back, or stop. Relationships may have suffered. Jobs have possibly come and gone. You may have engaged in behavior you would never have considered just to get through your day. None of this has really made any dent in your desire to use or drink. Until now.

Taking action to actually stop drinking and/or getting high can be overwhelming. You know it is something you need to do. You even want to do it. Now what?

First, you may need to seek medical help or a structured rehabilitation program. Your brain and body have possibly become dependent on something to function. Abruptly stopping your intake of these can cause withdrawal and may be dangerous.

Second, know that you can do this. If you have made the decision to stop using drugs and alcohol, the only thing you have to do is not use them. Everything else will, eventually, fall into place. I strongly believe that if 51% of your being wants to stay clean or sober, it will overpower the other 49% that wants to use.

Recovery is a very personal thing. Even if you began drinking or getting high for fun and your use spiraled into something more severe, these substances have been a buffer for experiencing a number of feelings. Learning to remain present and show up for life without numbing some of it out is scary. Often a person may have underlying trauma or a great deal of shame which has kept them “out there.” Speaking to a counselor as part of your recovery program can relieve some of the burden you carry.

Counseling can provide you a safe place to unpack some of the experiences and feelings without having to hide. You will have the opportunity to rebuild your understanding of who you are, and what you are capable of, as you discover life without your addiction calling the shots.
I believe that there are many paths to successful recovery that will work with your goals and desires, and to help you make the life changes you’re seeking. Please contact me today to schedule an appointment to start down that path.